Sev Tamatar Sabzi/ Sev Tameta Nu Shaak
Sev Tamatar Sabzi known as Sev Tameta nu Shaak in Gujarati is a very easy to make and delicious sabzi. My mother often prepares Gujarati food since she was brought up in Gujarat. I love this sabzi along with a few other Gujarati dishes like Gujarati Kadhi, Gujarati Dal, Methi Thepla, Undhiyu to name a few. Churma Ladoo that my mom makes is my favourite ladoo…my mouth started watering as I think about it 😀 Anyways, coming back to Sev Tamatar Sabzi, it takes just a few minutes to prepare it and it goes very well with Wheat Bhakris (Gehu ki Bhakri) which is prepared in Gujarat. But you can also serve it with Chapatis or Phulkas.
I have used home made Sev here. Click here to see home made Besan Sev Recipe.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese and a good source of Dietary Fiber. Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Iron and a host of other nutrients. So eating them either in a raw form or cooked is good for health. You can check an easy Maharashtrian Tomato-Onion Salad recipe here known as Koshimbir.
- 2 large sized tomatoes
- ¾th cup Sev
- 1½ tbsp oil / tel
- ¼th tsp mustard seeds / rai
- ¼th tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 5-6 curry leaves / karipatta
- 4-5 crushed garlic cloves / lehsun
- ¼th tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 1 tsp red chilli / lal mirch powder
- A pinch of asafoetida / hing
- ¾th tsp salt or per taste / namak
- 1 tsp jaggery / gud
- 2½ cups of water
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Step by Step Instructions to prepare Sev Tamatar Sabzi:
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Keep the gas flame low so that the tadka does not get burnt.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Next add curry leaves and crushed garlic.
- Saute the garlic till it turns light brown in colour.
- Once the garlic turns light brown, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida and mix.
- Immediately add the chopped tomatoes or else the spices will get burnt. Mix well.
- Add salt so that the tomatoes will get cooked faster.
- We need to keep stirring continuously till the tomatoes get partly cooked and become little mushy. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Add water.
- Also add cumin powder, coriander powder and some more salt if required. Note: Be careful while adding salt because sev also has salt.
- Since this sev tamatar sabzi has a tangy-sweet taste, we will add jaggery for the sweetness.
- Mix everything well and let it come to boil.
- Cover the sabzi and let it cook for 6-7 minutes so that the tomatoes get well-cooked.
- Keep checking and stirring in between as the sabzi is cooking. Add some more water if required.
- Once the tomatoes get well-cooked, add sev. Tip: It would be better for your health if you use homemade besan sev.
- Mix the sev into the sabzi and let it cook for 15-20 seconds (if you are using thick sev, it might need more cooking time). Note: If you are preparing the sabzi in advance, add the sev just before serving the sabzi so that it doesn’t become too mushy.
- Switch off the gas flame and garnish the sabzi with chopped coriander leaves. You may also add some sev as garnish.
SERVE SEV TAMATAR SABZI HOT 🙂
WATCH SEV TAMATAR SABZI VIDEO HERE:
If you liked this recipe, do share it with your family and friends. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel HAPPILY VEG for more recipe videos.