Koshimbir as it is known in Marathi language means raita/salad. Koshimbir is usually prepared with Tomato & Onion or Cucumber as the main ingredients. Other ingredients are added to these main ingredients and a traditional Maharashtrian style tempering is poured over the mixture.
This Koshimbir recipe with Tomato & Onion is a yummy accompaniment to almost any meal which can be prepared easily and makes for a nutritious side dish to any meal. Tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C and beta-carotene, a very good amount of mineral Manganese and a good amount of Vitamin E. Regular consumption of Tomatoes reduces the risk of heart disease.
Onions are a very good source of Vitamin C and a good source of Dietary Fibre, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. Onions have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects and have been linked to reduced risk of cancer, lower blood sugar levels and improved bone health. Yogurt, Peanuts and the ingredients in the tempering further add to the nutrients of this delicious Koshimbir.
- First of all, add chopped Tomato, chopped Onion, crushed roasted Peanuts and beaten Yogurt to a bowl and mix together.
- For the tempering/ tadka, heat oil in a tadka pan.
- Then add Mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Once the Mustard seeds splutter, add the Cumin seeds and let them splutter too.
- Add chopped Green Chilli and Curry leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Just before putting off the gas flame, add Hing. Put off the gas flame and immediately pour this tadka on the Tomato-Onion-Peanuts and Yogurt mixture.
- Add Sugar.
- Finally, just before serving, add Salt and Coriander leaves. Mix well. (Tip: Adding salt just before serving will prevent the Onion from leaving water therefore it is recommended not to add it in the beginning)
Serve this Koshimbir as an accompaniment to the meals.
Do take a look at the other Maharashtrian recipes posted on Happily Veg like
Poha, Tomato Saar, Modak Recipe, Sabudana Khichadi, Poha Chivda, Til gul ladoos, Jhunka Bhakri and Thecha and Puran Poli.
- Chopped Tomato = 1 large sized
- Chopped Onion = 1 medium sized
- Crushed Roasted Peanuts = ¼th Cup
- Beaten Yogurt = ¾th to 1 Cup
- TADKA / TEMPERING
- Oil / Tel = 1tbsp
- Mustard Seeds / Rai = ¼th tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera = ¼th tsp
- Green Chilli / Hari Mirch Chopped= 1
- Curry leaves / Kari patta = 4-5
- Asafoetida / Hing = a pinch
- Salt and Sugar = as per taste
- Coriander leaves / Dhaniya = a few
SUBSCRIBE to Happily Veg on YouTube :). It encourages me to prepare and share more recipes.