Batata Bhaji/ Maharashtrian Aloo Subzi recipe
Batata Bhaji as the Aloo Subzi is known in Marathi language is a very easy and tasty subzi. It is usually made as a part of Puran Poli thali. This subji also goes very well along with Poori/ Puri. Batata Bhaji is specially prepared during festivals such as Holi and Ganesh Chaturthi. If you are looking for some more Maharashtrian recipes check out Jhunka-Bhakri and Thecha, Koshimbir, Tomato Saar, Katachi Amti and Kande Pohe.
- 2 medium sized Potatoes/ Aloo
- 1 medium sized Onion/ Pyaaz – chopped
- 2 Green chillies – chopped
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Groundnut oil or any other cooking oil/ Tel
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder/ Haldi
- A pinch of Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/2 tsp Salt/ Namak or as per taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime/ 1/2 Nimbu ka ras
- A few Coriander leaves/ Dhaniya patta
Step by step recipe:
- Wash, Cut into halves and pressure cook the potatoes for 6-7 minutes. I prefer keeping the potatoes in a separate container in the cooker so that they do not come in contact with water else they can become very mushy.
- After the cooker cools down, remove the potatoes and peel them
- Chop the potatoes into cubes. You can mash half a potato so that the Batata Bhaji comes together well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/ wok. I prefer using Iron kadhai for cooking because it adds to the taste as well as the iron content of food. Here is a nice blog on how to maintain cast iron utensils.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add curry leaves and chopped green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes translucent/ pink.
- Next you need to add the turmeric powder and asafoetida and stir for 3-4 seconds only.
- Immediately add the chopped and mashed potatoes and mix well.`
- Add salt and mix. Switch off the gas flame.
- Before serving cut and deseed the lime and chop the coriander leaves.
- Add lime juice to the Batata Bhaji and mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Hope you cook and enjoy this dish. Do share your thoughts and feedback in comments section. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.
Watch video – Batata Bhaji Recipe