Aloo Jeera is one of the most common and easy recipes prepared during fasting/ upwas.
In many parts of India Aloo Jeera is also prepared on fasting days such as Navratri, Ekadashi, Sankashti, Sharavan Somwar and Maha Shivratri.
Health conscious people would be glad to know that Aloo Jeera provides instant energy as Aloo/ Potatoes are a source of complex Carbohydrates, which are our body’s main energy source. Aloo/ Potatoes are also a rich source of Vitamin C, Potassium and some minerals. Jeera aids digestion and improves our immunity along with other benefits. So this energy giving and easy on the stomach delicacy is perfect during fasting and otherwise.
I have used an iron kadhai to prepare this Aloo Jeera subzi because Iron vessels add iron content and a distinct taste to the food which is cooked in them. Today a lot of people suffer from iron deficiency or anemia. Using iron vessels for cooking can help in preventing/ curing this health condition. To buy an iron kadhai on amazon.in click on the link below:
- 2 Aloo/ Potatoes boiled, peeled and chopped
- ½ to ¾ tsp of Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of Ghee or any cooking oil. But this Aloo Jeera subji tastes better if prepared with Ghee.
- 1 Green Chilly finely chopped
- Common Salt/ Rock Salt as per taste
- Few drops of lime
(In the video I have said lemon by mistake. It is a lime that I used)
How to make Aloo Jeera for fasting:
1. Put on the gas flame & heat Ghee in the kadhai. Iron utensils tend to heat up quickly so keep the gas flame low/ medium.
2. Add Cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add the finely chopped green chilly and saute for a few seconds.
4. Add Aloo/ Potatoes and mix well into the tempering.
5. Add salt and stir.
6. Cut a lime and add a few drops of lime juice just before serving to retain its nutrients.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves (if you happen to eat coriander leaves during fasting)
You can serve it as along with Rajgira Parathas or Rajgira puris and curd or enjoy it as a single dish meal.
Watch Aloo Jeera Recipe video below.