Gujarati Dal Recipe
I have been fond of Gujarati food since childhood because my mom often prepares delicious Churma Ladoos, sweet-sour Gujarati Kadhi, sweet-spicy Gujarati Dal, spicy-tangy Sev Tameta nu Shaak, Rotla and spongy Dhokla at home. I have taken this Gujarati Dal Recipe from my mother. I hope you like it 🙂
- 1/2 cup Toor/ Arhar Dal
- 1/2 inch ginger grated/ Adrak
- 2 green chillies/ Hari Mirch or as per taste chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder/ Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya Powder
- 1 medium sized Tomato/ Tamatar chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves/ Kadi patta
- 2 pieces of Amsul/Kokam
- 11/2 to 2 tbsp of jaggery/ Gud
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder/ Haldi
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds/ Rai
- 2 dry red chillies/ Sukhi Lal Mirch
- A generous pinch of Asafoetida/ Hing
- 3/4 tsp Salt/ Namak or as per taste
- 3 cups of Water/ Paani or as required
- Chopped Coriander leaves/ Dhaniya Patta for garnishing
Step by Step Instructions for preparing Gujarati Dal
- Wash the Dal thoroughly 2-3 times and pressure cook in 2 cups of water with turmeric for 6-7 minutes.
- Once the cooker cools down, take out the Dal, add a cup of water to it and blend it with a hand blender or Ravai.
- Add ginger, green chillies, cumin powder, coriander powder, 4-5 curry leaves, Amsul/Kokam, Jaggery and Salt.
- Boil the Dal with all these ingredients for about 8-10 minutes on low to medium flame.
- For preparing the tempering/ tadka heat Ghee in a tadka pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Immediately pour this tempering in the boiling Dal. Cover with a lid immediately so that the aroma of the tempering gets mixed with the Dal.
- Boil the Dal for a couple of minutes more.
- Switch off the gas flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Do try this Gujarati Dal Recipe and share your feedback in the comments section.
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipe videos.
WATCH THE GUJARATI DAL RECIPE VIDEO BELOW: