Aloo Gobi Recipe
Aloo Gobi is a very popular sabzi recipe in North India. It is a default option in many Indian restaurant menus. I have taken this recipe from my friend’s mother.
This Aloo Gobi recipe is very easy and very nutritious at the same time. Cauliflower / Gobi, if eaten and cooked in a right manner, provides relief from indigestion, strengthens the bones and immune system, reduces the risk of stroke and cancer and helps the body detox along with various other benefits.
Potatoes / Aloo on the other hand help control high blood pressure, assist in maintaining good bone and heart health and reduce the risk of cancer among other benefits (if cooked and eaten in correct manner).
I have used an Iron Kadhai to cook Aloo Gobi but you may choose any utensil of your choice. I have talked more about benefits of cooking in Iron Kadhai in the Aloo Jeera Recipe.
Traditionally Mustard Oil has been used in North Indian cooking; hence, I have used the same. There are other oils such as Groundnut Oil, Sesame/ Til Oil and Coconut Oil which were widely used in India a few years ago. Nowadays, refined Sunflower Oil is widely used but our Indian food wisdom says that filtered oils that have been traditionally used in India are a healthier option. I urge you to watch this video on the benefits of Indian Cooking Oils by Rujuta Diwekar.
- 2 Cups Cauliflower florets (150gm)
- 1 Medium Potato Chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1/4th tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch Ginger (Peeled and finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (Peeled and finely Chopped)
- 1/4th tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4th tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- a few Coriander Leaves for Garnishing
- 3tbsp Mustard Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a kadhi.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- After you see cumin seeds spluttering, add ginger and garlic.
- Cook ginger and garlic till they start turning brown (this is also to make sure the raw aroma of ginger goes away).
- Add onions and saute till they start turning brown.
- Add Cauliflower and Potatoes.
- Add salt at this stage. It will help vegetables cook faster. Let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add all the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir.
- Let it cook for 5-7 mins keeping a lid. Keep stirring in between.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Keep a lid and it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Take off the lid and poke the potato and cauliflower gently to see if they are cooked.
- Take off the sabzi from iron kadhai immediately after it is cooked or else it may start turning dark if kept in iron kadhai for too long.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rotis, phulkas or parathas and enjoy 🙂
Hope you cook and enjoy this dish. Do share your thoughts and feedback in comments section. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.