Besan Masala Sev or as it is known as Tikhat Shev in marathi is a spicy snack which can be prepared during Diwali or as a tea- time snack. This easy to make Besan Masala Sev tastes yummy. If you are looking for other Diwali recipes, do check out Besan Ladoo, Poha Chivda, Shankarpali/ Shakkarpara, Mathri, Naralachi Vadi (Coconut Burfi) and Dry Fruit Ladoo.
- 2 cup Besan/ Gram flour
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain/Carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp Haldi/ Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Lal Mirch Powder/ Red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp Namak/ Salt
- 1/8 tsp Hing/ Asafoetida
- 2-2.5 cups Tel/ Oil for frying Sev and adding to the dough
- 1/2 cup Pani/ Water
Steps to prepare Besan Masala Sev/ Tikhat Shev:
- Heat Oil in a kadhai as we need to add some oil to the besan for preparing Masala Sev.
- Take besan in a bowl and add carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, asafoetida and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot oil to the besan and mix well. As the oil would be hot, first mix with a spoon and then with the hand. Make sure that the oil gets evenly applied to all the besan.
- Start adding water in parts and kneading the dough. We need to knead a softer dough than chapati dough. For 2 cups of besan, I needed around 1/2 cup of water.
- When the dough is almost ready, you will notice that it is little sticky. Add a tsp of hot oil to it and knead a little more so that the stickiness goes away.
- Take half part of the dough and roll it in your hands.
- Use a sev/ chakli maker with a disc for thick sev as shown in the video.
- Stuff the dough in the sev/ chakli maker and close it.
- Drop sev into the hot oil by pressing the piston of the sev/ chakli maker or by rotating the handle (whichever is applicable to your sev/ chakli maker).
- Make sure that sev doesn’t stick to each other. Also separate it a bit while frying so that it gets fried well.
- Fry the masala sev on low to medium heat till golden brown. This will take around 4-5 minutes for each lot.
- You may take out the Sev on a kitchen napkin or a strainer to drain the excess oil.
- Store in an air-tight container once it cools down.
I hope you liked this recipe. Do share your feedback in the comments section below.
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel for more simple, delicious and nutritious vegetarian recipes.
WATCH EASY BESAN MASALA SEV RECIPE VIDEO HERE: