Shepu Bhaji Recipe/ Suva Moong Dal Subzi/ Dill Recipe
Dill is known in India by various names like Shepu Bhaji in Marathi and Konkani, Savaa or Suva in Hindi, Shopla in Bengali so on and so forth. Dill has been used since centuries both as a food as well as a medicine. Dill weed/ Shepu/ Suva is a good source of calcium, manganese and iron. It’s antioxidants provide anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that lead to a host of incredible health benefits.
Eating shepu bhaji is especially beneficial for eye and bone health. I have prepared this subzi using moong dal which is a rich source of protein. This subzi is extremely easy to prepare and highly nutritious. It goes very well with Jowar Bhakri but you can also serve it with Chapatis or Phulkas.
- 1 bunch of Shepu/ Suva/ Dill Leaves
- 1/3 rd cup soaked Moong Dal
- 12-15 soaked Peanuts/ Moongfali
- 1-2 chopped Green chillies/ Hari Mirch
- 3-4 crushed cloves of Garlic/ Lehsun
- 1 tbsp Oil/ Tel
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- A generous pinch of Turmeric POwder/ Haldi
- A generous pinch of Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/2 tsp Salt/ Namak or as per taste
Step by Step Instructions for Shepu Bhaji Recipe/ Suva Moong Dal Subzi/ Dill Recipe:
- Heat oil in a kadhai on a low gas flame. Preferably use an iron kadhai or a steel kadhai instrad of aluminium or non stick kadhai.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add crushed garlic and saute till it turns light brown.
- Now add chopped green chillies and saute for 8-10 seconds.
- Add turmeric and asafoetida and saute for 3-4 seconds.
- Immediately add the chopped Dill/ Shepu/ Suva Leaves. Saute for a minute so that the leaves will shrink/ settle down a bit.
- Add Salt.
- Now add the soaked peanuts and moong dal along with the water used for soaking them. You can use only a part of the water if you want.
- Mix the subzi, cover it and let it cook. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- After 7-8 minutes, check if the dal has got cooked.
- Once the dal gets cooked, subzi would be ready.
WATCH SHEPU BHAJI RECIPE/ SUVA MOONG DAL SUBZI VIDEO BELOW:
If you liked this recipe, do share it with family and friends. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel HAPPILY VEG for more recipe videos.