Jhunka, Bhakri and Thecha recipes, How to make Jhunka Bhakar
Jhunka Bhakar and Thecha are the rustic Maharashtrian foods which are very healthy and delicious! No wonder the hardworking farmers eat it to gain strength and vigour. If you are looking for other Maharashtrian recipes do check out Puran Poli, Katachi Amti, Batata Bhaji, Koshimbir, Javasachi chutney,Tomato Saar, Bhendi chi Bhaji and Kande Pohe.
Recently we had a trip to our village in Kolhapur district of Maharashtra where my father has a farm. I requested Mrs. Mangal Sarjerao Patil aunty who along with her husband takes care of our farm, to show us how to cook in the farm. It was an amazing experience and the Jhunka Bhakar, Thecha was so tasty that I have decided to try cooking in the farm whenever I go to our village. Below are the ingredients and recipes:
Ingredients and Recipes:
Ingredients For Jwarichi Bhakri (Jowar Roti):
3 cups of jowar atta (1 cup = 150 ml)
1.5 cups of water or as required (use in parts)
Recipe for Jwarichi Bhakri (Jowar Roti):
1. In a plate, take Jowar atta and start kneading by adding water in parts.
2. Knead the dough till it becomes smooth and soft but not too mushy.
3. Start making Bhakri by patting it with the palm in a circular motion.
4. Put the bhakri on the hot griddle. Apply some water evenly on the top side of the bhakri so that it doesn’t become very dry while roasting.
5. Once it is roasted well from below, flip it and roast from the other side and take it off from the gas flame.
6. Similarly prepare other Bhakris.
Ingredients for Mirchi cha Thecha:
1. 8-10 green chillies
2. 5-7 garlic cloves
3. A few coriander leaves
4. 1/2 tsp salt
5. 1 tbsp oil
Recipe for Mirchi cha Thecha:
1. Fry green chillies in oil for a few seconds.
2. In a mortar pestle put garlic cloves, friedgreen chillies, coriander leaves and salt.
3. Pound this mixture to a coarse consistency.
Ingredients for Jhunka:
1. 1 cup Besan (Gram flour)
2. 1 cup water
3. 1 small onion chopped
4. 2-3 tsp mirchi cha thecha or as per taste
5. 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
6. 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
7. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
8. 1/2 tsp salt
9. 1.5-2 tbsp oil
Recipe for Jhunka:
1. Heat oil in the griddle/ tawa
2. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter
3. Now add chopped onion and saute till it turns translucent.
4. Add water and turmeric powder.
5. Next goes in the salt. I have added only 1/2 tsp salt considering the fact that Thecha also contains some salt.
6. Add 2-3 tsp of the Thecha
7. Now add Besan (Gram Flour) in parts and keep stirring while adding it.
8. Cook for 1-2 minutes
Hope you like this Jhunka Bhakar and Thecha recipe.
Do share your thoughts and feedback in comments section. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.
Watch video – Jhunka, Bhakri and Thecha