Dal Palak Recipe
Arhar Dal and Palak are two very popular food stuffs found across India. There are various methods of cooking Dal Palak. In this dal palak recipe, which I got from my mother, I am showing Maharashtrian style Dal Palak. I have used Dry Coconut and Dry Kokum as 2 key ingredients. They give an authentic Maharashtrian taste to this Dal Palak recipe.
Arhar Dal or Toor Dal is a rich source of Dietary fibre as well as nutrients like Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K & Vitamin E among others. Arhar or Toor Dal is a very good source of Dietary fibre, Manganese and Folate along with being a good source of Protein & Copper.
- Arhar Dal / Toor dal = 1½ cup Cooked
- Palak/Spinach = 8-10 leaves (chopped)
- Pani / Water = 1½ cup
- Moongphali/ Whole Peanuts = 15-20
- Tel / Oil = 2 tbsp
- Lehsun-Sukha Nariyal / Garlic cloves-Dry coconut = 2 cloves and 7-8 pieces of dry coconut crushed in a mortar pestle
- Rai / Mustard seeds = ¼th tsp
- Jeera /Cumin seeds = 14/th tsp
- Lal Mirch powder / Red chilli powder =1/2 tsp
- Jeera powder/ Cumin powder= 14/tsp
- Dhaniya powder / Coriander powder= ¼th tsp
- Haldi powder / Turmeric powder = 14/th tsp
- Gud / Jaggery = 30-40 gms
- Dry Kokum pieces = 3-4
- Hing / Asafoetida = a pinch
- Namak / Salt = ¾th tsp or as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan/ vok . You can also use ghee instead of oil. Keep the gas flame low.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter
- Add crushed garlic and dry coconut mixture and saute for a few seconds till the colour of garlic & coconut starts turning brown.
- Add all the spices and saute for a few seconds.
- Add Spinach and Peanuts and saute for 5-10 seconds.
- Add cooked Dal and Water and mix well.
- Add salt and continue to stir. Now you can increase the gas flame to medium.
- Once the Dal Palak comes to boil, cook for around 5 minutes. Don’t keep the lid while cooking or else the Palak will lose it’s dark green colour. Check the consistency of the Dal Palak and add more water if required.
- Add Kokum & Jaggery and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Put off the gas flame.
Simple, Delicious & Nutritious Dal Palak is ready! If you used oil for cooking, add a spoonful of ghee to every serving of Dal Palak for added taste. J You can serve it with rice, chapattis or phulkas.