Kande Pohe recipe
This popular Maharashtrian recipe is a delicious breakfast and it also has a symbolic meaning in Maharashtrian marriages, especially arranged marriages. When the boy’s family visits the girl’s family they are served a lot of things and at the center of all is Kande Pohe. It is popular used as a term to signfy the meeting of families during arrange marriages.
However, there is more to Kande Pohe/ Kanda Poha than just this. It a very healthy breakfast recipe or an evening snack that goes well with some hot chai. It requires minimum ingredients and efforts.
Pohe/ Poha is flattened rice that can be easily digested and is rich in Carbohydrates. Hence, it is a great breakfast dish because it provides instant energy to kick start your day.
For vegans looking for a quick and healthy vegan recipe Kande Pohe can be a very good option.
Kande Pohe can be made with different variations by adding sliced potatoes and chopped tomatoes too. Here I have shown the traditional recipe popular in Maharashtrian households.
- Poha / Flattened Rice = 2 Cups
- Kanda / Onion = 1 medium sized
- Tel / Oil= 3 tbsp
- Mungfali / Peanuts =1 to 2 tbsp
- Haldi /Turmeric Powder = ⅓rd tsp
- Rai / Mustard seeds = ⅓rd tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds = ⅓rd tsp
- Hari Mirch / Green Chilli = 2
- Kari Patta / Curry leaves = a few
- Namak / Salt = as per taste
- Shakkar / Sugar = as per taste
- Lemon juice = as per taste
- Garnishing = a few chopped coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut
2. Squeeze lemon juice after switching off the flame
3. Take out the kande pohe in a plate as soon as they are cooked. Leaving them in the cooking vessel will make them hard.
Steps for preparing Kande Pohe:
- Heat oil in a cooking pan
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Once the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add green chillies and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and peanuts and saute till the onion turns golden brown.
- Put turmeric powder and mix for a couple of seconds.
- Immediately add poha and mix well till the yellow colour of the turmeric gets evenly applied to the poha.
- Add salt and sugar and mix well.
- If you feel that the poha has become dry, sprinkle some water over it and mix.
- Keep a lid over the poha and cook for a couple of minutes. Mix in between so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Put off the gas flame and take out the Kande Pohe in another vessel. This is necessary because if it is kept in the hot vessel for long, it will tend to harden.
Squeeze some lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve Kande Pohe hot.
Do share your thoughts and feedback in comments section. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.