Dahi Sabudana is a Maharashtrian fasting food. I have taken this recipe from my mother. It’s a very simple yet yummy dish. Sabudana known as Sago in English is a rich source of Carbohydrates. Dahi or Yogurt provides Calcium, Potassium, Protein, Vitamin B2 & B12 among other nutrients. Peanuts are a good source of Copper and Protein among other nutrients. Thus, this fasting delicacy is not only delicious but also nutritious.
If you are looking for other fasting recipes do check out Sabudana Khichdi, Rajgira Halwa, Shakarkandi ki Kheer/ Sweet Potato Kheer, Rajgira Paratha, Aloo Jeera Subji for Vrat, Dry Fruits ladoo, Mango Lassi, Nimbu Pani & Aam Panna. You can modify these recipes as per the fasting rules in your community. E.g. Sendha namak/ Rock Salt can be used instead of common salt if you do not consume common salt during fasting.
- 1 cup Sabudana/ Sago
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of thick buttermilk
- 1/2 cup curd/ yogurt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup peanuts/ groundnuts
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Sugar or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies or as per taste
Steps to prepare Dahi Sabudana:
- Thoroughly wash Sabudana 2-3 times in water.
- Drain the water and soak the Sabudana in buttermilk for at least 4 hours after adding salt and sugar to it. Make sure the buttermilk and curd you use for this recipe is fresh and not sour. If you want to soak it for longer, then keep it in the refrigerator or at a cool place so that the buttermilk doesn’t turn sour.
- In the meanwhile, roast peanuts and grind them coursely. I prefer to use a mortar pestle to grind the peanuts as they taste better rather than those ground in a mixer grinder.
- Wash and chop the green chillies and crush them in a mortor pestle.
- Whisk the curd/ yogurt till smooth.
- Once the Sabudana is well soaked and soft, add the whisked curd and coarsely ground peanuts to the Sabudana and buttermilk mixture. Mix well.
- To prepare the tempering, heat ghee in a tadka pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add the cumin seeds and crushed green chillies. Saute for 10-15 seconds on a low flame or put off the gas flame if you feel that the tempering will get burnt.
- Pour the tempering on Dahi Sabudana mixture and mix well.
Preferably use chilled curd/ yogurt or you can keep Dahi Sabudana in the fridge for a few minutes before serving. I like it little cold. But you can serve as per your liking 🙂
I hope you liked this recipe. Do share your feedback in the comments section below.
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel for more simple, delicious and nutritious vegetarian recipes.
WATCH DAHI SABUDANA RECIPE VIDEO HERE: