Sweet Potato Kheer Recipe with very easy instructions and method. Sweet Potato Kheer is also known as Shakarkandi ki Kheer in Hindi and Ratalyachi kheer in Marathi.
Many people prepare sweet potato kheer on fasting days such as Navratri, Ekadashi, Sankashti, Sharavn Somwar and Maha Shivratri. Maha Shivratri 2017 is on 24th of February.
The benefits of sweet potato are aplenty. It is rich in fibre which helps prevent constipation. It also contains other vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. To put it simply, Sweet potatoes help maintain good heart health, have anti-ageing properties, help prevent against cancer and build healthy bones.
Sweet Potato Kheer is a great option among many other fasting recipes.
One bowl is enough and you won’t feel hungry soon. It is not just healthy but delicious too.
Here I have washed the Sweet Potato thoroughly and boiled it in a pressure cooker. Remember to place it in a separate container in the pressure cooker so that it does not come in direct contact with the water. I have then mashed it so that there are no lumps remaining. Once I got the consistency I wanted for my kheer, I switched off the gas flame and took it out in a serving bowl.
- 1 medium to large sized sweet potato
- 1.5 cups to 2 cups milk
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3-4 green cardamom crushed
- 3-4 cashewnuts broken in halves
- 2-3 sliced almonds
- 8-10 raisins
- 6-7 strands of saffron
- Pressure cook 1 medium to large sized Sweet Potato in separate container for 6-7 mins and peel it.
- Mash it with the help of a spoon or fork.
- Heat 1.5 to 2 cups (300 ml – 400 ml) of milk. Add 1-2 tbsp sugar and stir.
- Heat a pan and add 1tsp ghee. Once ghee melts add the mashed sweet potato and saute for a few seconds.
- Pour milk in the pan and mix well.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 mins on a medium flame. Stir at intervals.
- Add dry fruits (almonds, cashew nuts and raisins)
- Add 6-7 strands of saffron and powder of 3-4 cardamom. Mix well.
- Mix well and simmer till it reaches desired consistency.
- Sweet Potato Kheer is ready. Take it out in a bowl and serve.
Enjoy sweet potato kheer warm or cold. Hope you like this recipe 🙂
SUBSCRIBE to Happily Veg on YouTube :). It encourages me to prepare and share more recipes.
Watch video recipe