Murmura Chivda Recipe | Spicy Puffed Rice Snack
Murmura or Puffed Rice is used in India to make a variety of snacks like Chivda, Ladoo, Bhel etc. This Murmura Chivda is an easy and yummy snack which can be prepared in just 10 minutes and can last up to weeks if stored properly.
If you are looking for other easy and yummy snack options, check out
Sprouts Salad and
- 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 3 cups Murmura/Puffed Rice
- 2-2.5 tbsp Oil/Tel
- 2-3 tbsp Peanuts/Mungfali dana
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves/Lehsun (peeled and crushed)
- 1 Green Chilli /Hari Mirch (chopped)
- 10-12 Curry leaves/Kari patta
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric/Haldi powder
- Generous pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/3 tsp powdered Salt or as per taste/ pisa hua Namak
- 1.5 tsp powdered Sugar or as per taste/ Chini powder
- 1/2 cup Sev (optional)
Instructions to prepare Murmura Chivda:
- Dry roast the murmura on low heat for 2-3 minutes to make it crispy. Sauté continuously to prevent the murmura from burning. Alternatively you may keep it in the sun light for about 30 minutes.
- Add oil to the kadhai/ pan.
- Fry the peanuts on medium heat for 2-3 minutes till they turn brown. Take them out from the pan.
- For the tempering, keep the heat low. Add garlic, chopped green chillies and curry leaves to the medium hot oil and sauté till the garlic and green chillies turn light brown in colour.
- Add turmeric powder and asafetida and sauté for 2-3 seconds.
- Immediately add the murmura and fried peanuts and mix everything well. Make sure that the yellow colour of turmeric is evenly applied to the murmura.
- Switch off the gas flame and let the chivda become lukewarm (not cold). Sauté a couple of times to prevent it from burning at the bottom.
- Add powdered salt, powdered sugar and sev (optional). Mix well. Notes: Add salt carefully because murmura also contains salt. I have added salt and sugar powder so that they get evenly applied on the chivda and won’t settle down at the bottom.
Store Murmura Chivda in an airtight container. It remains crisp for 2-3 weeks if stored properly. Serve with a hot cup of Masala Chai.
Watch Murmura Chivda Recipe Video below:
Do SUBSCRIBE to HAPPILY VEG for more watching more recipe videos and don’t forget to click the bell icon to receive notification every time we upload a new video.
Thank you for your time 🙂