Idli Fry Recipe
Idli is a popular breakfast dish in south India. Generally served with sambar and/ or coconut chutney they make for a wholesome and filling breakfast. Though I love idlis with sambar and chutney, once in a while I do get tired of preparing and eating these combinations. So I make a quick idli fry which gets ready just in a couple of minutes once you have the idlis ready. I have taken this easy recipe from my mother. She makes awesome idli fry for breakfast which I just love.
Idlis are rich in complex carbohydrates and also contain protein, dietary fibre and vitamin B12 along with a host of other nutrients. So do make them a part of your diet and stay healthy!
If you are looking for some more healthy breakfast and snack recipes do check out Semiya (Vermicelli) upma, Veg Kabab, Methi Muthia, Methi Puri, Dry fruit ladoo, Rajgira Paratha, Sabudana Khichdi, Aloo Paratha, Kande Pohe, Kelyache Shikran, Makhana Namkeen and Ragi Ambil.
- 4 idlis
- 4 tbsp oil/ tel
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds/ rai
- 2 green chillies/ hari mirch slit vertically
- A generous pinch of asafoetida/ hing
- ⅓ tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp sugar/ cheeni
How to prepare Idli Fry?
1. Let them steamed idlis cool down.
2. Cut them into slices or cubes.
3. In a frying pan/ kadhai, heat oil on a low flame. Tip: I have used an iron kadhai as it is healthier to cook in iron utensils because they add to the iron content of food and may help prevent anaemia. To buy an iron kadhai on amazon.in, please click on the link below:
4. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
5. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the slit green chillies and fry for a 5-7 seconds.
6. Add asafoetida and immediately add the idli pieces. Mix well.
7. Now add the salt and sugar and sauté for about a minute so that the sugar melts.
Serve hot as it is or with tomato ketchup and a hot cup of masala chai.
If you liked this easy recipe, do share it with family and friends. Also let us know your feedback in the comments section.
WATCH IDLI FRY RECIPE VIDEO HERE:
For more recipe videos do SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel and click the bell icon to receive notifications whenever we upload new videos.
Thank you for your time 🙂