Flax Seed Recipe – Chutney
This Flax seed recipe is a Maharashtrian style Chutney recipe.
Though Flaxseed or Linseed has gained a lot of attention in the West recently, it has been a part of Indian cuisine since years. It has different names in different Indian languages. It is known as Javas or Alashi in Marathi, Alsi in Hindi, Urdu, Gujarati & Punjabi, Ali Vidai in Tamil, Tishi or Pesi in Bengali to mention a few of the many names that this super food has.
Benefits of Flax seed
The benefits of Flaxseed are numerous. It is packed micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy cholesterol that help fight several ailments such a diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc.
Flaxseeds are the richest source of plant based Omega 3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds are also the no. 1 source of Lignans in human diets. Lignans are anti-oxidants that have both soluble and insoluble fibre.
They have numerous health benefits like reducing the LDL (Bad Cholesterol), reducing the risk of Cardiovascular disease, maintaining better Ovarian & Uterine health in women, maintaining better Prostrate health in men and is also good for Colon health among other health benefits.
- 100 gms Flaxseed (approx 3/4th cup)
- 6-7 dried red Chillies
- 7-8 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup (8-10 slices) of dried coconut
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- 3/4th tsp Salt or as per taste
- Heat a pan or wok.
- Add Flaxseed, dried Red Chillies, Dried Coconut,Cumin Seeds and Sesame seeds to the pan and dry roast on a low flame till the flaxseeds start giving out a nutty aroma. Also you will notice that the dried coconut slices are beginning to turn brown. This will take around 5-7 minutes. Keep stirring continuously.
- Put off the gas flame and remove the ingredients from the pan. Let them cool down. (Note: If you want to keep them in the pan make sure you keep stirring them at regular intervals till they cool down)
- In a mixer grinder add all the roasted ingredients along with garlic and salt. Tip: Break the dried red chillies into smaller pieces for easy grinding. It will be easier to break them at this stage as they would have turned crisp due to roasting.
- Grind all the ingredients into a fine powder.
Yummy Flaxseed Chutney/ Javasachi Chutney/ Alsi ki Chutney is ready! 🙂 It makes for a delicious and nutritious accompaniment to meals. Do try out this recipe and share your feedback with us.
SUBSCRIBE to Happily Veg on YouTube :). It encourages me to prepare and share more recipes.