Cucumber Raita is known as Kakdi chi Koshimbir in Marathi and Kheera Raita in Hindi. Raita or Koshimbir is a type of Indian salad prepared with curd/ yogurt, some spices and herbs. I love Kakdi chi Koshimbir as well as the Onion Tomato Koshimbir. Raitas add to the flavour of the food, are a good digestive and have a cooling effect on the digestive system.
Cucumber Raita goes very well with dishes such as a Pulao and Biryani. Raita is served chilled and usually with spicy dishes. There are a lot of different types of Raitas. The key ingredient is curd and you can add raw vegetables like carrot, tomato, onion or even boondi at times.
- (1 cup = 200ml)
- 1 large sized cucumber / kakdi
- ¾th cup curd / dahi
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ⅓rd cup roasted peanuts / singdana
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 green chilli / hari mirch
- 4-5 curry leaves / kadi patta
- ¼th tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- ¼th tsp mustard seeds / rai
- A generous pinch of asafoetida / hing
Step by step instructions to prepare Kakdi chi Koshimbir
- Thoroughly wash the cucumber and cut off the ends.
- Taste the cucumber before preparing the raita. Note: Do not prepare raita with a cucumber that tastes bitter.
- Cucumbers with thick skin might need peeling. The cucumber that I have used in this video does not require to be peeled.
- Hold the cucumber vertically and chop the cucumber finely by making a few cuts diagonally on the upper surface of the cucumber. Then cut horizontally the area in which you have made cuts. This is a very easy and quick way of finely chopping the cucumber. Take a look at the video to understand it in a better manner.
- Add coarsely ground roasted peanuts and curd/ yogurt and mix well. Tip: I have used a mortar and pestle to coarsely grind the roasted peanuts as using mixer grinder might give a powder like consistency to the peanuts.
- For preparing the tempering (tadka), heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Next add the chopped green chilies and curry leaves. Fry them for 8-10 seconds. Note: If you feel that the oil has become too hot you may reduce or switch off the gas flame.
- Add asafoetida to the tadka and fry for a couple of seconds. Immediately pour the tadka on the cucumber-peanut-yogurt mixture. Mix well.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix well. Tip: If you are preparing the cucumber raita in advance, add salt just before serving it as the cucumber will start leaving water as soon as you add salt.
- Lastly, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
If you liked this recipe, do share it with family and friends. Also SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel Happily Veg for more recipe videos.
WATCH CUCUMBER RAITA RECIPE VIDEO