Broccoli Pasta Recipe
This Broccoli Pasta is very easy to make and tastes delicious. I just happened to stumble upon this recipe on the website www.skinnytaste.com when I was searching for an easy pasta recipe. I have modified it a little bit. I hope you would like it. You can also serve this recipe for your vegetarian guests on Christmas.
The macaroni pasta that I have used here is made of Durum wheat. Durum wheat is a good source of protein. The other main ingredient is Broccoli which is rich in dietary fibre, potassium and copper, phosphorous, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids among several other nutrients. Add to this the goodness of cheese, garlic, black pepper and mixed Italian herbs and you have a healthy wholesome meal ready in a few minutes.
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- 1 cup broccoli
- 7-8 crushed peppercorn
- 5-6 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cheese cubes
- ½ tsp mixed Italian herbs (dry)
- 1½ tsp salt or as per taste
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups of water for cooking the pasta and broccoli
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Step by Step instructions for preparing the Broccoli Pasta:
- Heat water in a saucepan/ kadhai.
- Add salt and 1 tsp olive oil to the water while heating it.
- Adding oil will prevent the pasta from becoming sticky once it is cooked.
- Thoroughly wash the broccoli.
- Once the water begins to boil, add the pasta and broccoli to it.
- We need to cook the pasta around 80%. This will take around 5 mins 30 sec to 6 minutes. This time might differ as per the variety of pasta used. Read the instructions on the pasta packet to decide the cooking time required.
- Check the pasta and once it is cooked around 80% switch off the gas flame.
- Remove half a cup stalk and wash the pasta and broccoli under cool running tap water. This will prevent them from getting further cooked.
- In a pan, heat 2 tsp olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and fry till it turns light brown in colour.
- As the garlic turns light brown, add the cooked pasta and broccoli along with the stalk.
- Add freshly ground pepper corns and grated cheese. I have grated 2 cheese cubes of the size shown in the video. You can use more cheese if you like.
- Mix well and cook the pasta in cheese and stalk for around 1 to 1.5 minutes. Adjust the cooking time if you are using a different variety of pasta.
- Add mixed Italian herbs (dry). I have crushed them a bit by rubbing the palms.
- You may also add crushed chilli flakes if you like little spicy taste.
- Check the pasta and switch off the gas flame once it is cooked. Remember not to overcook the pasta.
- Serve Broccoli Pasta hot 🙂
Do SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel Happily Veg for more recipe videos.
WATCH BROCCOLI PASTA VIDEO BELOW: