This Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake recipe or Christmas Plum Cake as it is often called is a modified version of the traditional Fruit Cake recipe which requires eggs and alcohol. Here I have not used any eggs or alcohol and instead soaked the dry fuits in Orange juice overnight. Also, this eggless christmas fruit cake recipe is made in a pressure cooker. Most Indian homes do not use microwave/oven, so I thought this ‘Pressure cooked’ version is something that would encourage them to make this cake.
In initial trials I used only wheat flour/aata but the results were not satisfactory. Generally cakes are made of refined flour/maida but it isn’t healthy to consume a lot of it. So, I added half cup of each, and the cake turned out to be pretty good.
Since, this is not baked in oven so I had to take a trial couple of times so understand the right amount of time required for this too cook well. Figures out, 40-45 min in a pressure cooker filled with some water will get you the desired result.
I highly advise not to cook this without water or by adding sand in your cooker as the cooker might get damaged. Pressure cookers are meant to be used with water inside them. Do not worry about the cake getting moist. Just cover it well and follow the steps shown in this video.
If you’re making a cake for the first time then chances are you may not getting it perfect. Even I did not get it right the first time. Cakes need attention to detail and right quantities. But trust me, once you get a hang of it you can try different versions and types of cake. Just follow the easy steps mentioned in my video and you should get something good.
Hope you like this eggless christmas fruit cake recipe. Do share your thoughts and SUBSCRIBE to our channel Happily Veg. It keeps me motivated to share more such delicious recipes with you.
Merry Christmas 🙂 And I hope you like this recipe.
You may also like to try Eggless Christmas Pudding.
- Measurement: 1 Cup = 200 ml
- Whole Wheat Flour /Gehu Aata) = 1/2 Cup
- Refined Flour / Maida = 1/2 Cup
- Mixed Dry Fruits = Almonds/Badam, Cashewnuts/Kaju, Raisin/Manuka, Dates/Khajoor, Dried Apricots/Khubani, Glazed red Cherries, Tutti Frutti
- Powdered Sugar = 1/4th cup
- Sweetened Condensed Milk = 1/2 cup
- Unsalted Butter = 1/4th Cup
- Orange juice = 3tbsp
- Orange zest = 1 medium size orange
- Vanilla Essence =1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda = 1/4th tsp
- Baking Powder = 1/2 tsp
- Powdered Spices: Cinnamon / Dalchini =1/2 inch, Cloves/Laung=2-3, Peeled Green Cardamom / Elaichi = 3
- Nutmeg/ Jayaphal = a small piece
- Dried Ginger Powder / Soonth powder = a pinch
- Garnishing = Glazed Red Cherries and Tutti Frutti