Falafel is a Middle Eastern snack made of Chickpeas or Fava beans or a combination of both. In this falafel recipe I have used only Chickpeas. Falafel is generally served with Tahini sauce and/ or Hummus.
These fried vegetarian fritters (pakoras) are a rich source of protein and dietary fiber. And if you top them with tahini sauce and pickled veggies in a pita bread (I prefer whole wheat pita breads), it becomes a filling and nourishing meal!
- 1 cup dry Chickpeas/ Kabuli chana
- Enough water to soak the chickpeas
- 1 small Onion/ Pyaaz chopped
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic/ Lehsun chopped
- 2 tbsp. Parsley/ Ajamod or Coriander leaves/ Dhaniya
- 1 tbsp. refined flour/ Maida
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- ½ tsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya powder
- ¼ tsp Pepper powder/ Kali mirch powder
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder/ Lal mirch powder
- A pinch of Cardamom powder/ choti Elaichi powder
- 1 tsp Salt/ Namak
- Oil for frying
Step by Step Falafel Recipe:
1. Soak dry Chickpeas/ Kabuli chana in enough water for 6-7 hours
2. Drain the water after 6-7 hours and start preparing the falafel mixture.
3. To the soaked Chickpeas add chopped Onion/ Pyaaz, 3-4 cloves of Garlic/ Lehsun, chopped Parsley/ Ajmod or Coriander (Dhaniya patte), refined flour/ Maida, Salt/ Namak, Cumin seeds/ Jeera, Coriander powder/ Dhaniya powder, Pepper powder/Kali mirch powder, Red chilli powder/ Lal Mirch powder and Cardamom powder/ choti Elaichi powder.
4. Grind everything together coursely to prepare the falafel mixture.
5. Take it out in a bowl and mix gently with a fork.
6. Remove big pieces of Chickpea, if any.
7. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for at least 45 mins.
8. After 45 mins. take out the mixture from fridge.
9. Heat oil in a pan to deep fry falafel. Preferably use groundnut oil.
10. Take parts of the mixture and start rolling it into small sized balls (around 1 to 1.5 inch in diameter).
11. To check if the oil is hot, drop a tiny ball of the mixture into the oil. If the ball comes up then oil is hot enough for us to start frying falafel.
12. Fry on medium flame till the falafel turn golden brown.
13. Once golden brown, take them out in a plate.
14. Serve hot with Tahini sauce and/ or Hummus 🙂
Hope you like this falafel recipe. Do try it and share your thoughts in the COMMENTS section below. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.
WATCH VIDEO OF FALAFEL RECIPE