Tahini Sauce recipe/ Ardeh recipe
Tahini (also known as Ardeh) or sesame seed paste is a condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame seeds. It is a staple in many cuisines especially the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food. Tahini sauce is served as an accompaniment to dishes like falafel, hummus and babaganoush. Check Falafel Recipe here.
I wanted to try a different cuisine and so decided to prepare tahini sauce with falafel. I hope you will like this recipe 🙂
As for the nutrition content of Tahini sauce, it’s an excellent source of calcium and high quality protein. It’s rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potasium, iron and zinc. It is a good source of Vitamin E and dietary fibre. Thus it helps maintain a healthy skin and bone health. It also assists weight loss among several other health benefits .
Now, let’s get started.
- ½ cup hulled sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp lime juice or more as per taste
- 3 cloves of raw garlic
- a little less than ¼ tsp salt or as per taste
- chopped parsley for garnishing
Steps to prepare Tahini Sauce:
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a thick bottom pan till they slightly change the colour and give out a nutty aroma. This might take 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring continuously to ensure that they do not get burnt.
- Remove the sesame seeds from the pan and let them cool down. (Tip: Use a broad plate so that you can spread them and they will cool down faster)
- Once the sesame seeds cool down, put them in a blender and process until a crumbly paste begins to form.
- Add the olive oil and blend again till a smooth paste is formed.
- Add lime juice, water. chopped garlic and salt to the Tahini paste and blend together.
- Once you notice a flowing consistency, Tahini sauce is ready 🙂
Do share your thoughts and feedback in comments section. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more recipes.
If you would like to try out another sesame seeds recipe check this Til Gud Ladoos recipe prepared in India during winter especially for the festival of Makar Sankranti.