Easy Masala Chai Recipe, How to make Indian Masala Tea
Masala Chai/ Masala Tea is an Indian flavoured tea beverage which is prepared by brewing black tea with aromatic spices and herbs. There are various spices which can be added to the Masala Chai/ Indian Masala Tea like cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, clove, dry ginger etc. in powdered form. Fresh ginger is also commonly used. Also, herbs like lemongrass and tulsi (holy basil) can be used for making this tea. I love to use ginger, cardamom and lemongrass in my Masala Chai recipe as per the availability in my kitchen. Adding holy basil (tulsi) to the tea has been my recent experiment and I have started to like the taste. Plus it makes my Masala Chai healthier.
So here is my Masala Chai Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cup (225 ml) water/paani
- 2 teaspoons black tea/ chai patti
- 4 teaspoons sugar/ cheeni
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger/ adrak
- 7-8 leaves of holy basil/ tulsi
- 2-3 pods of green cardamom/ choti elaichi peeled and powdered
- 2/3 cup (100 ml) milk
Steps to prepare the Masala Chai/ Indian Masala Tea:
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water in a vessel.
- Add tea, sugar, grated ginger, pieces of the holy basil leaves and powdered cardamom. You can also add the outer cover of cardamom to the tea for enhanced flavour.
- Let the mixture boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk and let it again boil for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the gas flame once the tea comes to a boil to avoid it from spilling over.
- Strain the tea and serve hot!
Hope you like this recipe. Do try it and share your thoughts in the COMMENTS section below. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel HAPPILY VEG for more recipes.
WATCH VIDEO OF MASALA CHAI RECIPE