Til Gud Ladoos are especially prepared during the festival of Makar Sankranti in India. Makar Sankranti in 2017 will be celebrated on 14th January. This Til Ladoo recipe is easy to follow and I hope you will end up making some delicious ladoos.
Sesame is Hindi and Marathi is known as Til. And Jaggery in Hindi/Marathi is known as Gud/Gul. Til and Gud both help the body keep warm while also providing it with a host of other nutrients. That’s the reason Til Ladoo are prepared and relished during winter season.
There are many health benefits of Til/ Sesame seeds. They are an excellent source of copper and manganese and good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, selenium, molybdenum and dietary fibre. Due to a host of these nutrients eating Til/ Sesame seeds can provide relief from Rheumatoid Arthritis, help in maintaining good Vascular and Respiratory health, prevent Colon Cancer, Osteoporosis, Migrane & PMS along with lowering Cholesterol.
Likewise there are many health benefits of Gud/ Jaggery. It is rich in antioxidants and nutrients like calcium, iron, zinc, selenium, potassium and manganese to name a few. Consuming Jaggery prevents constipation, purifies blood, boosts immunity, eases menstrual pain, prevents anaemia, controls blood pressure and relieves joint pain among other benefits. Gud/ Jaggery is also a good source of energy as it gives energy to the body gradually and for a longer time being a complex carbohydrate.
- Measurement : 1 Cup =200 ml
- Til/Sesame seeds = 1 Cup
- Gud/Jaggery = 1/2 Cup (Gud generally used for making Chikki)
- Roasted Groundnuts / Moongfali (peeled) = 15-20 nos
- Ghee = 3 tsp
- Peeled & Powdered Cardamoms/Elaichi = 4-5 nos
How to make Til Ladoo:
- Dry roast the Sesame seeds on medium/ high heat till they turn light golden brown. Keep stirring continuously so that they don’t get burnt. It will take around 3-4 minutes. Take out the sesame seeds from the pan.
- Add ghee to the pan and heat it.
- Add Jaggery and let it melt completely.
- Once the Jaggery melts and bubbles start appearing, add cardamom powder and mix. Next, add Sesame seeds and roasted peeled groundnuts and mix well so that the Sesame seeds and groundnuts are covered in jaggery. You need to do this quickly because if the jaggery is heated for too long then it will begin to harden and you may find it difficult to roll ladoos in proper round shape.
- Put off the gas flame.
- Take out the mixture in a plate.
- Grease the hands with some ghee so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the hands and start rolling ladoos while the mixture is still warm. You need to be really quick because once the mixture cools down it becomes difficult to roll the ladoos.
- These ladoos become little hard and crunchy once they cool down. Store them in air tight containers and they will be good for a couple of weeks.
Prepare and eat these yummy Til Gud Ladoos to stay healthy and energetic during winters. Happy Makar Sankranti to all 🙂
Do share your feedback in the comments section.
Watch Recipe Video below: