Masala Chaas/ Spicy Buttermilk recipe
Masala Chaas is the Hindi name for spicy buttermilk. Chaas or Chaach is a natural refreshing drink which gives relief from the summer heat as well as aids digestion. If you are looking for some more summer drinks check out Aam Panna, Mango Lassi and Nimbu Pani/ Shikanji.
Masala Chaas contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. In Ayurveda, buttermilk or chaas is used both to maintain health as well as a treatment against diseases due to several reasons. It is easy to digest, has astringent properties, improves digestion and alleviates the feeling of puffiness. It is a natural remedy against swelling, irritation and digestive disorders, gastrointestinal ailments, spleen issues, anaemia and lack of appetite. Adding spices and herbs to chaas while making Masala Chaas makes it even more beneficial for health.
- 1 cup Dahi/ Curd (chilled)
- 1 ½ cup Paani/ Water (cold) or as required
- 7-8 Pudina/ Mint leaves (and for garnishing if required)
- Few Coriander leaves
- ½ Hari mirch/ Green chilly
- ¼ tsp roasted Jeera/ Cumin powder
- 8-10 kuti hui Kali mirch/ freshly ground Black Pepper corns
- ¼ tsp Kala Namak/ Black Salt
- ¼ tsp Namak/ Salt or as per taste
Step by Step instructions to prepare Masala Chaas:
- Blend well all the ingredients except water in a blender. Note: If you want a less spicy Masala Chaas, use less or no green chilly/ black pepper.
- Add water and mix well. Note: I have used cool water from the earthen pot as it is good for health. If you do not have earthen pot, you may use refrigerated water or ice cubes.
- Garnish with mint or coriander leaves and serve.
I hope you liked this recipe. Do share it with family and friends. Do SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel HAPPILY VEG for more recipe videos.
WATCH MASALA CHAAS RECIPE VIDEO HERE: