Hari Moong Dal Recipe | Sabut Moong ki Dal Recipe:
Hari Moong Dal means whole green moong beans. They are extremely nutritious whether sprouted or not. I love this hari moong dal recipe since it is so easy to make and delicious too! If you are looking for other dal recipes do check out Katachi Amti (Maharashtrian spicy dal), Gujarati Dal and Dal Palak.
Whole green moong beans are a rich source of nutrients including magnesium, potassium, manganese, folate, copper and zinc and multiple B vitamins. They are also a great source of protein, fibre, antioxidants and phytonutrients. Having whole green moong beans as a part of your regular diet can help keep heart diseases, diabetes, obesity and cancer at bay.
- ¾ cup whole green moong beans
- 2 cups water for cooking the
- moong beans
- + 1 cup water for adding to the dal
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Paste of 1 inch ginger (peeled)
- + 3-4 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2 small sized tomatoes or
- 1 large sized tomato chopped
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
Hari Moong Dal Recipe:
- Pressure cook the whole green moong beans for 7-8 minutes.
- Heat oil on low heat in a pan/kadhai.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves and fry for 5-7 seconds.
- Next goes in the ginger-garlic paste. Fry it till it turns light brown in colour.
- Add the chopped onion and fry till it turns light brown in colour.
- Once the onion becomes light brown in colour, add the spices i.e. turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and asafoetida in quick succession.
- Fry the spices for 4-5 seconds and immediately add the tomatoes.
- Fry the tomatoes till they become little soft and mushy. This might take a couple of minutes.
- Once the tomatoes become a bit soft and mushy, add the cooked whole green moong beans.
- Once the dal comes to a boil, cover and cook it for around 5 minutes. Keep stirring every couple of minutes.
- Switch off the gas flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve Hari Moong Dal with chapati, phulka or steamed rice. I just love it with hot steamed rice and a spoonful of ghee.
If you liked this recipe, do share it with family and friends. Please let us know your feedback in the comments section.
WATCH HARI MOONG DAL/ SABUT MOONG DAL RECIPE HERE:
For more recipe videos do SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel HAPPILY VEG. Thank you for your time.