Easy and Healthy Vermicelli Upma | Semiya Upma Recipe
Vermicelli Upma or Semiya Upma is a popular Indian breakfast recipe. In South India, the vermicelli made of rice is more common while in other parts of India, the vermicelli made of wheat is more common. I have used the wheat version for this recipe.
This upma is high in carbohydrates and provides good energy for the day if you have it as a breakfast. It can be made more nutritious by adding vegetables like green peas, carrot and capsicum. I have made the basic version here.
- 1 cup roasted wheat vermicelli / gehu ki bhuni sevai (1cup = 200 ml)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds/ rai
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- ½ tsp split and husked chickpeas/ chana dal
- ½ split and husked black gram lentis/ urad dall
- 1 dry red chilli/ sabut sukhi laal mirch
- 1 green chilli / hari mirch chopped
- 7-8 curry leaves/ kadipatta
- 3-4 cloves of garlic/ lehsun peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion/ pyaaz peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp or 12-15 nos. peanuts/ moongfali ke daane
- ⅓ tsp turmeric powder/ haldi
- ¾ tsp salt/ namak
- ½ tsp sugar/ cheeni or as per taste (optional)
- 1½ cup water/ paani or as required
- 1 tbsp oill or tel (for making upma) + 1 tsp oil (for roasting sevai)
- A few chopped coriander leaves/ dhaniya patta for garnishing
- ½ tsp lime juice/ nimbu ka ras or ¼th lime/ nimbu
How to make Semiya Upma?
- If using unroasted vermicelli, roast it with 1 tsp oil on low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chana dal and sauté for around 15 seconds. Note: I have cleaned the chana dal and urad dal with a kitchen napkin so instead of washing them so that they would remain crunchy on frying.
- Add the urad dal and sauté till both the dals become golden brown in colour. You will get a nutty aroma once the dals get fried.
- Add the dry red chilli and sauté it for around 10 seconds.
- Now add the chopped green chilli, curry leaves and the finely chopped garlic. You may also add some finely chopped ginger if you like. Sauté the garlic till it turns light brown in colour.
- Add chopped onion and peanuts and sauté till it turns light brown in colour. Tip: Sautéing the onion well will give a better taste to the Sevai Upma.
- Next goes in the turmeric powder. Sauté it for 5-7 seconds only and immediately add the roasted vermicelli.
- Sauté the vermicelli for half a minute more in the tempering.
- Add water. I have used 1.5 times water in proportion to the vermicelli.
- Lastly add the salt and sugar. Adding sugar is optional but it gives a very nice taste to the upma.
- Once the water starts boiling, cover and cook the vermicelli for 6-7 minutes stirring at intervals. Note: If you are using a thin variety of vermicelli, it will get cooked faster. You may also need less water.
- Once the vermicelli is cooked, switch off the gas flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. You may add the lime juice and mix now or you may serve the upma with a slice of lime as an accompaniment.
If you liked this recipe, do share it with family and friends. Also share your feedback in the comments section.
WATCH SEMIYA UPMA RECIPE VIDEO HERE:
For more recipe videos, SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel Happily Veg and press the bell icon for notifications whenever we upload a new video.