Sweet Potato Chaat Recipe for Vrat | Shakarkandi ki Chaat
Sweet Potatoes or Shakarkandi are a popular fasting food in India. It’s usually consumed during Navratri, Shravan, Mahashivratri or any other vrats (fasts). Navratri 2020 begins on October 17. I love Sweet Potato Kheer, Sweet Potato Gulab Jamuns and also plain steamed sweet potatoes. The latest addition in my favourite dishes made of sweet potatoes is this Sweet Potato Chaat for Vrat. It is so easy to prepare and tastes delicious! You can also have it for breakfast to start your day on a healthy note.
Sweet Potatoes are rich in a variety of nutrients and are easy to digest due to their high fibre content. Also they help in maintaining steady blood sugar levels. Thus they make for an excellent fasting food!
If you are looking for some other fasting recipes, do check out Sabudana Vada, Rajgira Paratha, Rajgira Halwa, Dahi Sabudana, Sabudana Khichdi, Aloo Jeera for Vrat, Vrat wale Aloo ki Subzi and Dry Fruit Ladoo. Since the fasting rules vary in different parts and communities of our country, please feel free to tweak these recipes as per your needs.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes/ shakarkandi
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder/ kali mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder/ amchur powder
- 1/3 tsp rock salt/ sendha namak
- 1/2 tsp lime juice/ neembu ka ras
- A few Pomegranate seeds/ anaar ke daane and
- Coriander leaves/ dhaniya patte for garnishing (optional)
How to prepare Sweet Potato Chaat / Shakarkandi ki Chaat for Vrat?
- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes into halves. Cook the sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker in a separate container for about 5-6 minutes. Note: We need to make sure that they are just cooked and not over cooked.
- Once the cooker cools down, peel the sweet potatoes and dice them.
- Now add the spices, lime juice and rock salt. You may use black salt or common salt as per the fasting rules for your community and liking. If you are not preparing this chaat for fasting, you may add red chilli powder, chaat masala and other spices to it.
- Garnish the chaat with pomegranate seeds and or chopped coriander leaves. Though garnishing is optional, it makes this otherwise plain dish look attractive.
- Serve as a side dish or as a small fasting meal in itself.
I hope you liked this quick and easy recipe. Please share it with your family and friends.
WATCH SWEET POTATO CHAAT / SHAKARKANDI KI CHAAT RECIPE VIDEO
Do SUBSCRIBE to Happily Veg Channel on YouTube for more such simple, delicious and nutritious recipes.
Thank you for your time 🙂
Leave A Comment