Masala Papad is a starter snack of crisp fried papads with a topping of chopped onion, tomatoes and some herbs and spices. It is a very popular dish in restaurant menus in India. You can prepare different varieties of Masala Papad at home by altering the topping like pomegranate seeds, raw mangoes etc. as per the season and your taste.
If you are looking for some more starter/ snacks options check out
Falafel Recipe with Tahini paste
Batata Vada with special Vada Pav Chutney
Kanda Bhaji/ Pyaaz ke Pakore
1 Urad Dal Papad Oil/ Tel to shallow fry the papad
Finely chopped onion/ pyaaz
Chopped tomatoes/ tamatar
Finely chopped green chilli/ hari mirch
A pinch of red chilli powder/ lal mirch powder
A pinch of chaat masala
A pinch of salt/ namak
Lime juice/ nimbu ka ras
Nylon sev/ barik sev
Chopped coriander leaves/ dhaniya patte
How to prepare Masala Papad?
- Heat oil in a pan to shallow fry the Urad dal papad.
- Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a tiny piece of papad into the oil. If it comes up immediately the oil is hot enough.
- Shallow fry the papad on both the sides while pressing gently at the edges so that the papad doesn’t bend too much at the edges while frying.
- Take out the papad in a plate. Note: If you plan to serve Masala Papads later then store the fried papads in an airtight container to keep them crisp.
- Garnish with chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, finely chopped green chillies, red chilli powder, chaat masala and salt as per taste, lime juice and nylon sev (fine variety of sev).
Serve masala papad immediately or else it turns soggy.
Watch Masala Papad Video here