Besan Cheela or Besan Chilla is also known as Tomato Omelette (Veg). It is one of the easiest Indian breakfast recipes. I often make this when I am in the morning rush of finishing things and going to office. I have also made a video for Besan Cheela. You can find the link at the end of this post.
Besan Cheela is one of those nutritious quick breakfast recipes that is widely popular. It has different names in some parts of India and has different variations too. In this recipe I have mainly used onions and tomatoes. You may also add chopped capsicum (shimla mirch), carrots (gajar) and spinach (palak).
Besan (Chickpea Flour) is a versatile ingredient and is widely used in Indian recipes. You may used it as a batter for pakoras, or making besan ladoos, or simply make a kadhi out of it. It doesn’t stop there, in India Besan is also used for beauty purposes such as hair and skin care. It is probably that one ingredient which is sure to be present in every Indian kitchen.
- 1 Cup =200ml
- 2 Cups Gram Flour/Besan
- 1Onion/Pyaaz, chopped
- 2 Tomato/Tamatar, chopped
- 2 green chillies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, grated
- A few coriander leaves for garnishing / dhaniya patta
- 1/2tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1/2tsp coriander/dhaniya powder
- 1/2tsp red chilli/lal mich powder
- 1/2tsp carom seeds/ajwain
- 1 tsp salt/namak
- 250 ml water/paani
- Oil as needed for frying.
How to make Besan Chilla:
- Mix all ingredients in a vessel
- Add water in small parts and begin to mix everything well
- Ensure the consistency is free flow but not too thin
- Don’t let any lumps forms as you continue to mix
- Heat Tawa and season with oil
- Pour the batter and spread it evenly
- Add oil on top and sides and cook on one side
- Flip and cook the other side. [If using iron tawa then do keep in mind that it tends to get heated soon and cheela may burn on one slide. Hence, keep an eye and flip as soon as one side is fairly cooked]
- Pour a little oil again on top and sides after flipping
- Take off from the tawa. Repeat to make more servings.
If you don’t like it spicy then you may skip the green chillies. Besan Cheela can be had with chapati, bread or as it is. I have cooked this on an Iron Tawa as there are a lot of benefits of using iron tawa for cooking.
Watch Besan Cheela Recipe Video below.